Tuesday 1 July 2014

My First Impressions of Birchbox - June 2014


After finally getting a grad job I thought it was time for me to succumb to something which has been on my wish list for months now… Birchbox!! 

For those of you that haven’t heard of Birchbox it is a service which offers 4-5 luxury beauty samples per month for £10 + p&p. I had held off signing up to Birchbox for a few reasons: a) The price – Yes it is only £12.95 a month but there is only so far a student loan will stretch especially when already signed up to other subscriptions such as graze (an absolute must for the revision season!); b) I wasn’t sure about the quality of the samples (you only have to check other blogs/social media to see the conflicted options on this one) and; c) I didn’t know how the box would fit into my already defined beauty regime (I love to try new products but I am loyal to my favourite brands). 

Probably what finally swung my decision in the end was May’s Birchbox:




https://birchbox.co.uk/box/may-2014


…Or should I say one particular product in May’s Birchbox – they’re real by Benefit (although my opinion has changed on this... (but anyway that is for another post!)

So when I finally ordered my Birchbox I had to wait a little while for delivery but was really excited to receive my box (so much so I took a sneak peak at my Birchbox Survey’s to see what I would receive in my box) and I certainly wasn’t disappointed! Luckily for me I received two hotly anticipated products both the Beauty Blender and moisturiser from French beauty brand Caudalíe. 




Along with some information about each product, I received the following world cup ‘global strikers’ products in my box:

The aforementioned Beauty Blender and Caudalíe broad spectrum SPF 15 day perfecting fluid;
Naobay’s Body Radiance Lotion;
O.P.I. Nail Lacquer;
How ‘Bout Them Apples? Cheek and Lip Cream from the Balm. 

Oh and a cute little Brazilian themed Birchbox flip flop keyring – a nice touch but a potential ‘filler’ perhaps?

My favourite of all the products has to be the cheek and lip balm – out of the full palette shown below I received ‘Pie’ – I absolutely cannot recommend this product highly enough. Added to natural makeup this product gives a youthful rosy cheek glow, as a lip balm the product has a fantastic colour which appears long lasting, however I would team with a hydrating lip balm if you tend to have dry lips.

http://www.thebalm.com/cosmetics/lips/how-bout-them-apples.html

O.P.I nail varnish is a small sample but more than enough for a few manicures – unfortunately the yellow colour does nothing for my pale skin but if anything I would be more likely to buy O.P.I products after experiencing its easy application and staying power. 


The Naobay body radiance lotion smells incredible – I have literally never smelt anything like it, a mix of olive oil, avocado oil and sheer butter makes for a luxury hydrating feel, I will be so disappointed when this runs out!!


The Caudalíe face cream is also lovely, but I feel like I would need a larger sample to determine whether I really like it and whether I would buy it again. 

So that leaves the Beautyblender, this may surprise you but I actually haven’t tried it yet – I feel like this product needs me to set some time aside to fully review the product but I will report back shortly. So far so good – I love the idea and also the smell believe it or not!! 

So all in all I was very happy with my Birchbox – I feel like the cost can be justified for this month’s box. However, if I start to become unhappy with the value for money aspect I will have a low threshold for cancelling my subscription. In regards to the quality of the samples I don’t think I could ask for much more from this box. Lastly my concern about how a Birchbox would fit into my current beauty regime… ridiculous! I am so happy to have found a way of keeping on top of beauty trends; this will surely stop me from getting into a rut and buying the same old beauty products (no matter how fabulous they may be!)
Let me know your thoughts – Have you ever subscribed to Birchbox or another beauty subscription service? If so what are your thoughts?


 Looking forward to hearing from you - L x 

No comments:

Post a Comment