Monday 7 July 2014

Beautyblender Review



In my last blog I mentioned that I was lucky enough to receive a Beautyblender in my June Birchbox. I was super excited to receive this product but realised I would have to trial the product thoroughly to determine whether it was really for me.



Prior to receiving this product I had read about the Beautyblender countless times online, although due to the price tag (£26 for a classic single and solid cleanser kit) and the fact that I typically use make-up brushes, this wasn’t a product I was going to rush out and buy. Although this didn’t mean I was any less excited to try the product. 

http://www.beautyblender.co.uk/product/beautyblender_classic_single_solid_cleanser_kit/


The application process is simple – basically wetting the blender and letting it absorb moisture before squeezing any excess liquid out. Firstly I applied my makeup to my hand before bouncing/stippling my blender into the makeup and then onto my face using the slightly pointed end for harder to reach areas such as around the nose. A useful and thorough article on application and care can be found here. 


My first impressions of the blender were really positive – I loved both the colour and also (believe it or not) the smell! When using my blender I tried it with the following three products: Benefit’s Hello Flawless Foundation (I’m pure 4 sure Ivory), Benefit’s You Rebel Lite Tinted Moisturiser and finally Lush’s Jackie Oates. These are the three products that I am currently using most often. 


What I loved about the blender was that it gave me a really dewy look which is something I have been trying to achieve recently (inspired by people such as Millie Mackintosh etc). However, (and for me this is a big but) I found getting the level of moisture just right a little tricky. Having very sensitive skin I found that the combination of my usual products along with a slightly damp sponge was a little irritating for my skin. When I completely removed all moisture from the blender I found I was no longer getting the dewy look – this is obviously something I will have to play around with. Despite this the blender was easy to use and it was simple to build up coverage where I needed it whilst still giving the airbrushed effect – which for me is perhaps the Beautyblender’s best feature.



It was after applying my makeup (and enjoying a long lasting finish might I add) that I started to see the drawbacks to the Beautyblender. After using the blender you will need to cleanse the product each time after use. This can be done by using the cleanser in a similar way to a bar of soap yet on your blender. Whilst this is a relatively quick process it is an additional task nonetheless and something which could become a bit of a bind on a daily basis (yes we know that our makeup brushes and sponges should undergo a similar treatment but I usually wash mine every few days and not every day).  The thing is I don’t think a Beautyblender could be left without being cleansed, not because of hygiene reasons but I think the air brushed effect would not be as effective. When cleansing the product one thing you will notice is that the liquid coming out of the blender is in fact pink – as aforementioned I have very sensitive skin and wondered how this may affect my skin (I assume it was a dye/colorant of some form). Oh and then you of course need to store the cleanser… which can be more problematic than it sounds!



The other thing is that the blender needs to air dry – this is usually fine but I was travelling at the time of using the blender which meant it didn’t really dry too well. Therefore I perhaps wouldn’t recommend this for if you are travelling.



So all in all I loved the airbrushed, long lasting effect this novel applicator gave me. This product is definitely something I would recommend for applying makeup for a special occasion or for beauty professions, however for someone who wants great looking makeup quickly I don’t think the Beautyblender will be your answer for every day glamour.



I’m really keen to know your thoughts on the Beautyblender along with any tips/tricks for other beauty tools on the market which do a similar job.



-          L x
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment